Alanya is the main Sea side and Historical Town on the South Coast of Turkey. Alanya is a modern city with a large cultural heritage and many historical buildings. Our Turkish Villa Rental Guests can either drive around themselves to Alanya in the Hired Car, join an organized tour of Alanya or take the Dolmus from Yesiloz Villa to Alanya.
The Sea Side Town of Alanya has a large harbour visited by Mediterranean Cruise ships as well as a Marina for smaller boats. Alanya offers a choice of simple authentic Turkish Restaurants, 5* dining at some of the best hotels in Turkey as well as McDonalds and Burger King. Alanya a choice of Water Parks as well as a Castle dating back more than two thousand years. Alanya is a city which offers things for people of all ages and interests.
There are things to see and do in Alanya for guests of all ages and interests, whether you want to spend time in water parks in Alanya, shopping in the centre of Alanya or look at Alanya's treasures in the Alanya Museum, you want to visit historical sites or go on a boat trip, whether you want to go water skiing or diving or simply drink cocktails, enjoy fine dining or dancing the night away.
We strongly advise that guests who are coming on holiday print off information about what they would like to see as well as information about the places they would like to visit. We suggest that guests bring an up to date guide book which are always available at the departure airport. Information is available at the villas, but the information on the website is much more detailed and up to date. A detailed map is essential and any good guide book on Turkey will have one. It is much easier to get a guide book in the UK than in Turkey.
Guide To Alanya's Historical Sites
|The Ancient City of Adanda Lamus|
|Alanya Archeological Museum||Dim (Gavurini) Cave|
|The Alanya House of Attaturk||The Fortress of Alanya|
|The Ancient Seljuk Shipyard||Alanya: The Red Tower|
|The Ancient City of Nephelis|
|The Alanya Museum of Attaturk|
Alanya is a city situated in the Mediterranean, in the eastern coast of Alanya Bay of the Anatolian Peninsula and its history dates back to the antiqity. However, the research done in Kadı ini Cave, near the city centre, in 1957 showed that the first settlement in Alanya dated back to late Paleolitic Age 20 thousand years ago.
The first known settlement founded on the site of present day Alanya was Coracesium, meaning rock. This city was sometimes included in the province of Cilicia, sometimes in Pamphylia. Strabo, proceeding west to east in his description of Cilicia, starts with Coracesium, describing it as a castle set on a steep cliff.
It is not yet known by whom or when Alanya was built. As a city, it first appeared in history during the antiqity. In the antique era Alanya was situated between the boundaries of Pamfilya and Kilikya, and was sometimes considered to be a city of Kilikya and sometimes a city of Pamfilya. Heredot states the people that lived in the region between Pamfilya and Kilikya one descendants of people who spread to Anatolia after the Trojon war. The first historical name of Alanya is Coracesium. The person who mentioned the name of 'Coracesium' for the first time in history was 4th B.C. geographer Skylaks. At that time this region was under the invasion of the Persians. After some time the city become an important center for the Mediterranean pirates and got strong enough to resist the Roman navy and became a base of the frightening pirate of the Mediterranean: Dryphon. Although VII. Antiochus, the Selefki king of the Syrian region, conquered the city in 139 B.C., Coracesium continued to be a home for the pirates for some more time. In 65 B.C., the city became a part of Rome after a naval attack by the Roman Commander, Magnus Pompelus.
Following the collapse of Rome, the city went through the Byzantium era and had a new name; Kalonoros which means beautiful mountain, that was given by the sailors. In the 7th century the city resisted the Arabian invasion by strengthening its walls. When the crusaders conquered Istanbul and established the Latin Empire instead of the Byzantium in 1204, one of the feudal lords, Kyr Vart, who benefited from the lack of authority in Anatolia, took the control of Kalonoros.
In 1221, The Selcuk Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat, seized the control of the city that he had besieged for some time, without fighting against Kyr Vart, who surrendered. Alaaddin Keykubat got married to Kyr Vart's daughter and had the city reconstructured and made it a winter capital city for the Selcuks. He gave the city, the name of Alanya after his own name. With its magnificient monuments and historical structure, Alanya, founded by Alaaddin Keykubat has been given the status of World Culture and Heritage nominee city by the United Nations science, culture and art institution; Unesco. Alanya, which had its most brilliant era during the reign of Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat , began to be controlled by Karamanoğulları principality whose center was Konya, after the collapse of the Selcuk State in 1300.
They made Alaiye a part of Memluk State in Egypt in 1427, in return for 5.000 golds. Alaiye was made a part of the Ottoman Empire in 1471 by Gedik Ahmet Pasha, who was one of the commanders of Fatih, the Conqueror.
The Ottomans made Alanya a part of Cyprus State in 1571 and then a part of the principality of Konya and finally that of Antalya in 1868 and in 1871 it was an administrative district of Antalya. The city was given the name the name of Alanya in 1933 with the suggestion of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of The Republic of Turkey. Alanya was an agricultural city, depending on the production of citrus fruits and bananas in the first half of the 20th century, whereas it became a center of national tourism activities based on health due to the refreshing air of Damlatas Cave in 1950s. The touristic movement of the city gained an international dimension, improving at a great pace with the help of its historical background and natural beauties. Today, Alanya is one of the biggest touristic centers of the Mediterranean with its capacity over 100 thousand beds used for tourists.
Due to its ideal harbour and eminently defensible situation, this site served in almost every period as a pirate's or rebel's den. For this reason it was the only Cilician city to resist Antiochos III in 199 B.C. A half century later, Diodotos Trypon, the local ruler, also refused to remain allied with Antiochos VII. Piracy in the Mediterranean in the first century B.C. was a great economic and political problem for the Roman Empire; the seizure of grain ships by pirates reached such proportions that it threatened even Rome with widespread hunger. For this reason, Puplius Servius was sent to Cilicia in 78 B.C., and organized a series of campaigns against the pirates, but the was ultimately unsuccessful.
Next he was empowered by the Roman Senate in 65 B.C., and he subdued all of the pirate strongholds by attacking them both by land and by sea. Coracesium, was the last to fall, and in the process not only was the pirate fleet destroyed, but the city's fortification walls were pulled down and the stones pitched into the sea.
During the Roman imperial era, Coracesium must have become a large city, for in the second century it began for the first time to mint coinage in its own name.
Not much is known about Coracesium in the first centuries of Christendom and the early Byzantine period. Together with its neighbours Cilicia and Pamphylia, it must have accepted Christianity at an early date.
This period, too, witnessed a change in the name of the site; it became known as Kalonoros or Beautiful Mountain. This name continued to be employed in various permutations well into the Middle Ages. Even after its conquest by the Turks, the city was known by the Venetians, Genoese, and Cypriots under the rubric Candelor, Scandelore, or Galenorum.
As soon as the Rum Seljuk sultan Alaeddin Keykubad I (reigned 1220-1237) ascended the throne, his first strategic ploy was to move against this castle. On securing its surrender from its ruler Kyr Vard, he affixed his own name to the town, calling it Alaiye. Its proximity to the Seljuk capital of Konya as well as Alaeddin's harbour improvements, assured the town's rapid development. Because the sultan wintered in Alanya, the town witnessed much construction activity, and was provided with the wonderful buildings we see today.
After the collapse of the Seljuk state, this area passed into the control of the Karaminids and was sometimes administered by local rulers swearing allegiance to them. Often the Lusignan kings of Cyprus tried to lay hands on Alanya, and the Turks and the Egyptians used it as a base from which to invade Cyprus. With the rise of the Ottoman Empire, commerce in the eastern Mediterranean declined, and Alanya lost most of its former importance. Today, Alanya is one of the best preserved of all Seljuk cities.
The 33-metre tall tower was
built in order to keep the
harbor under surveillance at all
The technique used in its construction, its floor plan and its construction, its floor plan and its durability make this monumental tower one of the most prominent Seljuk monument. The octagonal tower built on rocky terrain has a diameter of 29 meters. Local stone brought in from the vicinity and thick mortars were used in the construction of the first two stories of the tower and dark red baked clay brick was used in the construction of the upper stores. This durable thick mortar was used in almost all of the Seljuk towers. Although the stones in certain sections have crumbled down, the mortar still remains intact.
After capturing Alanya in 1221, Sultan Aladdin Keykubat gives an order to build a monument which will ensure that Alanya, the symbol of the Turkish rule over the seas, will always stay under the sovereignty of the Turks. Kizil Kule, which still stands strong in its grandeur as it was the day it was built, is named after the reddish stones used in the lower section also after the bricks in the upper section. The tower was named after Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat when it was first built, but later it was renamed the red tower due to the red bricks used in the construction. Many architectural pieces dating back to the ancient times were used in its construction.
Especially the ancient column shafts used horizontally in the construction of the facade give the tower an unusual appearance. Situated to the south of the Red Tower, right by the sea, there is a covered building where the big warships of the age were built in complete security. After Sinop on the black sea coast, the Seljuk's used this Shipyard as a naval base and sailed the Mediterranean. This shipyard was built two years after the Kizil Kule (Red Tower) in 1228 by Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat. And is the only remaining shipyard from the Seljuks.
With this effort the Sultan realized his wish of becoming "Sultan -ul- bahreyn" (the Sultan of the two seas) by preventing possible attacks that may come from the east. Following the construction of these dockyard, Alaaddin Keykubat I received the title "Sultan of the two seas" The rectangular structure measures 40 by 57 meters and consists of vaulted galleries where ships were built. The galleries are connected to each other by four pointed-arches. It's facade and all the weight-carrying elements are built of large, cut stone blocks, and the vaults of baked bricks.
As the promontory where the
fortress is situated is not
easily accessible either from
sea or land it was not inhabited
continually throughout the
history. It was surrounded by
city walls first during the
Hellenistic era and later new
additions were constructed
according to the demands of the
time..The monumental fortress of
was built by Sultan Alaaddin Keykubat i between 1226-1232According to the inscription on it, the octagonal structure known today as the Red Tower (Kizil Kule) was the first structure built by the Seljuk's in Alanya and it is the key point of the fortress. The defense line that starts here, in accordance with the topography of the land ascends in a zigzagging manner although not always regularly. After a certain distance it joins a complex of buildings called Ehmedek, which was built, on top of a Hellenistic tower.
The city wall, which turns southward after Ehmedek and descends, in order, to Adam Atacagi Cilvarda Burnu, Arab Evliyasi Tower, Esad Tower and then by Tophane and Tersane, ends where it starts, at the red Tower.
Since the land between the Red Tower and Ehmedek is not so steep, in order to slow down attacks from the north, curtain walls were built outside the main city walls, in many places ditches were dug in the bedrock at the first lien of defense against attacks. The first lien of the fortress must have been considered secure since no such defense elements were used. One-hundred-forty towers are seen on top of the city walls that stretch a total of 6400 meters.
These walls and towers, built with stone and mortar, had embrasures, holes to pour out hot oil and ramps to facilitate the movements of the soldiers in the fortress. The fortress was entered through the arched main gates with inscriptions on them.
There were also smaller auxiliary gates. Today, only a few of these gates are in good state of preservation. The fortress of Alanya, as observed on the map, may be divided into three sections based on the city walls and various defense lines. Diskale (the outer Fortress) in the area surrounded by the walls that extend through Kizil Kule, Ehdemek, Arab Evliyasi, Tophane and then reach Kizil kule again. Kizil Kule, Tersane and Tophane are the most prominent Seljuk monuments in Alanya.
Ortakale (the middle fortress) in the area surrounded by Ehdemek, Arab Evliyasi and the walls of the outer fortress.
Seljuk monuments such as the Aksebe Mausoleum, baths and a building complex know as Ehdemek, as well as Ottoman Monuments such as the Süleymaniye Mosque, the hostel, the marketplace, and a late Byzantine chapelcalled Arab Evliyasi are located in the Middle fortress.
Iç kale (the inner Fortress) located on the highest point in the northwestern corner, of the promontory is the last shelter and point of defense. The area surrounded by high walls resembles a falcon crest and it was used for military purposes Seljuk monuments like palaces of the sultans and other important people, military establishments, training schools, cisterns as well as a church lasted to the late Byzantine era are found in the Inner Fortress. There is also an interesting little corner know as Adam Atacagi.
Alanya: The Seljuk Shipyard
The shipyard is 56.5 meters long, 44 meters wide and consists of five chambers. Each chamber is 7.70 meters wide and 42.30 meters deep all opening to the sea. Situated to the south of the Red Tower, right by the sea, there is a covered building where the big warships of the age were built in complete security.
After Sinop on the black sea coast, the Seljuk's used this Shipyard as a naval base and sailed the Mediterranean. Following the construction of these dockyard, Alaaddin Keykubat i received the title "Sultan of the two seas "
The rectangular structure measures 40 by 57 meters and consists of vaulted galleries where ships were built. The galleries are connected to each other by four pointed-arches. It's facade and all the weight-carrying elements are built of large, cut stone blocks, and the vaults of baked bricks.
Located at the western foot of the Fortress of Alanya, the Damlataş Cave is one of those rare caves in Anatolia which is under management, it appeals to Turkish as well as foreign tourists since the air in the cave is beneficial to asthmatics, and it is easily accessible from the center of the city.
It was discovered in 1948 quite by accident, it formed as semi-crystallized limestone from the Permian period of the Paleozoic Age was shaped by erosion over thousands of years. It is approximately 100 meters from the sea and in relation to below the entrance. There are many stalactites, stalagmites and columns decorating everywhere in the halls.
Following the rumors that asthmatics benefited from breathing the air in the cave, scientists analyzed a sample of the air to verify the fact that the air was indeed beneficial to patients suffering from non-allergic asthma. They found that the air in the cave contains 10to 12 times more carbon dioxide than normal air and has 90 to 100 % humidity.
Temperature in the cave is 22 C. Both the radioactivity and ionization in the cave may contribute to the benefits derived from breathing the air in the cave.
A little further from the Sarapsa Hostel, at the and of the 9 km long road that separates northward from the main road is the Alara separates northward from the main road is the Alara Stream which runs through a deep, narrow valley.
On one side of the stream, on a rocky cliff stands the Alara Fortress. Behind the fortress, this is steep cliff down to the stream.
The Alara stream, which originates between the mountains covered with green frosts runs at he foot of the cliff below the fortress and serpentines towards the sea.
This is an unusual tower built on a mountain rising straight up from the bed of the Alara stream which is 200 m. north of the Alara Han.
It is not known when it was built, but it was repaired by the Seljuks when they captured it in 1231 and it was used for a long time during the Ottoman era.
Alara Hostel was the second hostel after Sarapsa on the way from Alaiye to Antalya and Konya. It is an unusual Seljuk monument since it also served a religious function as a place where certain dervishes lived in seclusion.
The rectangular structure measures 38 by 50 meters and except for its esteem facade, it is constructed of cut stones.
Various signs identifying the master stonecutters are seen on these cut stones. Rectangular and triangular pillars support the three facades of the structure.
The plain portal with a low arch, in the middle of the northern facade, is the entrance to he hostel.
Above the entrance there is an inscription of six lines in Arabic. Relieves of two schematic lion heads decorate the inscription.
We include this because it is only 5 minutes from the villas. The 33 km. long modern road that stretches along the coast between Alanya and Gazipasa passes through the remains of Iotape. Although these ruins date back to the Roman and Byzantine eras it is possible that the city was named Iotape by the king Antiochus IV (38-72 A.D.) after his wife Queen lotape.
It is known that during the reign of king Antiochos IV (A.D. 38-72), in some of the cities in the neighbouring state of Cilicia coins honoring Queen Iotape and their sons Epiphanes and Callinicus were minted. Coins were also minted in Iotape during the Roman Empire from the time of Emperor Trajan the Roman Empire from the Emperor Valerian (270-275). On the front side of these coins is the bust of the emperor and on the backside is a description of Apollo, Tyche or Perseus.
Iotape is situated by a small natural harbor on the western side of which there is a rocky cape 60 meters wide and 30 meters high. The cape, which is surrounded by walls, like a fortress, guarded the harbor against attacks from land and sea on the cape there are remains of Roman and Byzantine structures but they are in such a bad condition that it is impossible to have an idea about their floor plans.
The castle walls gives
appearance of castle. The
buildings are destroyed
considerably. In the valley
is connected to the land, there
is Harbour street extending in
east and west direction. On both
sides of the street, there are
crepis consisting of three steps
and fundamentals for sculptures.
In this museum, which started to operate in the year 1967,many monuments from the Bronze Age, Urartu, Phrygia and Lydia and belonging to the Hellenistic and Roman period it is opened every day between 8 a.m.-12 a.m./1 p.m. - 5 p.m. and the entrance is due to payment Tel: 5131228. The museum includes certain sections in which archeological and ethnographic works are kept and exhibited. The most ancient work displayed in this museum, is the inscription in Phoenician language dated back to 625B.C. Bronze, marble, ceramics, glass and mosaic finds belonging to Roman, Byzantine periods, an epitaph in Karaman language and coins of Archaic (7-5 B.C century) , Classical Ages, Roman, Byzantine, Seljuk, Ottoman and Republican Periods are exhibited in archeology section. The ethnography section includes Turkish Islamic works of art and traditional belongings, guns, handicrafts, jewels, pots and pans collected from the environs of Alanya. A symbolic section of a traditional Alanya house can also be seen in this part.
The founder of Turkish Republic, the Great Leader Atatürk, came to Alanya on February 18th, 1935 and stayed in the house to rest for a while, and the house was donated to the Ministry of Culture by its owner Tevfik Azakoğlu and in 1987 the house was restored and decorated in order to receive visitors as "Atatürk's House and Museum". On the first floor, Atatürk's personal possessions, photographs, a telegram written for the Alanya people by Atatürk and other historical documents are exhibited, on the second floor the elements of a typical Alanya house can be seen and some ethnographical objects unique to the region are exhibited.
This building was constituted in the beginning of this century and in 18 February 1935,Atatürk remained in this house and after the owner of the house donated it to the Ministry it was opened to service as the house and Museum of Atatürk It is opened every day between 8 a.m. 12 a.m./ 1 p.m. 5 p.m. and the entrance is due to payment Tel: 5133254
This cottage, which was organized as a resting and hunting place during if Alaaddin Keykubat, there are many ruins of villas, baths, cisterns, pool for the for the irrigation and surrounding walls.
It is in the Hasbahçe quarter.
This site, 15 km. before Alanya and was built during the time of the Seljuk Sultan Giyaseddin Keyhusrev II (1236-1245).
It was constructed on a large area and the stone ceiling is still in a good state of repair.
It is closed to the south. It, too, has the appearance of a fortress; its ornamental gate is on the north side.
A small mosque is next to it.
This madrasah, which was
constituted by Alaaddin Keykubat
during the year 1232 on a hill
at Obaköy, is an example of the
Seljuk's handmade arts and
This inn is a Seljuk's monument,
constituted between the
1234-1246,There is also a small
mosque at the east side of it
.It is 15 km. Away from Alanya,
on the road of Antalya.
Located on 20 km east of Alanya. As a result of the excavations carried out by Alanya Museum, it is believed that the history of the city dates back to 7th century B.C. The city is surrounded by city walls. There are several cisterns which provided water needs of the city.
The cave must have been used for religious purposes. And is known as baptising cave. There is a wonderful bath building on the east of the town. There are mosaics on some part of the bath floor.
Just on the west of the bath, in north-south direction the columned street of the town lies. There are nishes on the north walls of the street.
In the excavations it was understood that the street is in 250*10 metres sizes and covered with wooden roof and south is open. There are many inscriptions about races and competition.
Other important structures in the town include temple, theatre, acropolis, necropolis, agora, houses and town walls. The inscription which was prepared from Roman emperor Septimus Severus's letter sent to the city in 194 A.D. is exhibited in Alanya Museum. In his letter the emperor expresses his gratefulness to the people of Syedra who resist the bandits and undevaut attacking the city.
Entrance to the site is free. It is necesarry to walk 1 km. after the motorway finishes. Going up the hill through the scrubby land, one can see the beauty of Maditerranean and Alanya fortress.
This city was constructed during the 3 Century B.C. and there are the ruins of baths, roads, grave with fresco signs and the ruins of a palace On the ground of the bath at the East or the cite ruins of mosaics. It is 8 km. Away from tours Alanya inside the Mahmutlar Town. You can reach until Mahmutlar Town by public taxis, and then continue by taxi or by a special from Alanya.
Location: Antalya, Alanya
If you really like caves and good views, take a visit to the Dim?? Caves. You catch one of the little buses that go in the opposite direction to Centrum, they only run about one an hour and it costs 3 million on the bus, It takes about 1 hour from the town centre to get there, up a rather steep and winding road, but once there the caves are brilliant. When you come out of the caves there is a cafe/bar and some breathtaking views on all sides. We really enjoyed it.
Properties The total length of the cave is 357 meters and the cave is horizontal and dry. There is only a quiet small lake towards the end of the cave. Dim cave is one of the most beautiful caves of Turkey. It is suitable for a visit as is at the vicinity of Alanya and as the environment is covered with forests and picnic sites. Because the cave was used as a shelter by prehistoric and historic periods, the cave was called as "Gavurini Cave" by the local people.
Situated on the west side of Cleopatra's beach, where the hill starts. Close to the tourist info on Damlatas. Inside are some amazing stalactites and stalagmites. It's very moist inside with a humidity on about 90% and a constant temperature of 22-23 degrees Celsius. The caves was discovered in 1948 of some engineers that was working on the harbour. This cave is much smaller than the Dim Cave.
If you plan on visiting both you should see this one first, or you might be a bit disappointed in this one. If you just want to see one of them I would recommend to go to the Dim Cave instead, because it's a much bigger and more fantastic cave. Even though this one is very good too. If you are tired of lying on the beach you can just take a quick walk to the cave, look inside and then go back to the beach again.
The air is said to be very good for people suffering from asthmatic illnesses, so every morning it's only open for people with this sickness. But from 10-18 it's open for everyone.
Cities Of Alanya|
There are a lot of remnants of ancient cities through the east and west axis of Alanya. The cities some of which founded in the coast and some founded in steep slopes are called Pamphylia and Kilikia region cities. The remnants reflect the Characteristic features of these regions. The stone ash boxes exhibited in Alanya Archaeological Museum reflect the way of burying the dead in Kilikya region. Entrance to these sites which are being protected and where in some parts still excavations are being carried out, is free. Considering the long walks through stony and bushy footpath, people who would like to visit ruins should choose appropriate shoes and carry some water on summer days.
Colybrassus is a city situated in Taurus Mountains, 30km northwest of Alanya and belonged to Roman period. Many inscriptions scattered all around have a lot of important information about the history of the city although the details are still unknown to us.
Among the ruins that exist today, the important ones are the tample with a corner stone in Ion style, tombs in necropolis and a grave that was carved as low arch and inside of it was decorated with head of Medusa.
The two sides of the arch are in eagle figure. Also in the city one can see an odeon, city walls with towers, exedras, some examples of houses.
The visit to the site is free. The other name of this ancient city is Ayasofya.
The Ancient City of Adanda Lamus is 55 km to the east of Alanya and 2 km to the north of Adanda Village. The city is situated on the two hills constituting the peak of a steep mountain. It is understood from the inscription at the entrance gate of the city that the hill on the west was surrounded by city walls in Gallienus's time, in the middle of 3th century A.D.
The gate of the city is protected by a big tower. There are some remnants of a second city wall inside the main city walls. In the flat land between the two hills one can see the ruins of the agora, fountain and the temple of the city.
One of the two temples of the city was built on behalf of Roman emperors Vespasianus, and the other on behalf of Titus.
On the estern hill however, one can see the rooms carved into the rocks and the necropolis with big tombs. Entrance is free.
The Ancient City of Hamaxia is 12 kilometres far from Alanya. Within the borders of Pamphylia Region. Strabon, the eminent geographer of the antiqity, mentions that the timber used in ship building was grown in the town and particularly there were cedar trees in the town. It is believed that the town was founded before Roman period. Rectangular stone shaped tower shows Hellenistic features. The most important ruins of the town include; an antique fountain.
Pool, semicircle designed, excedra whose seat are still seen still readable inscriptions, religious complex and necropolis. Some inscriptions discovered in the town pave emblem of Hermes which indicates existence of Hermes temple in the town. Considerable parts of an embossed otel Ostoteks exhibited in the Alanya Museum were discovered in the town.
It is known that a small community not being rich lived in Hamaxia between A.D. 100 and 200 under reign of Coracesium. Important part of the ruins are dated from Roman and Byzantine Period. It is free to visit this site. It has a nice view of Alanya from he slope that faces the sea. When there is no mist, it is possible to see that coast which is more than 100 km between Gazipaşa and Manavgat.
The Ancient City of Leartes is located about 25 km. away from Alanya, on the skirt of a mountain elevating at the entrance of Dim Valley on Taurus Mountains. The city takes place in the border of the region known as Mountainous Kilikya Region in antique age. Although it spread inland it also has a harbour. Inscription dating the own from B.C. 7th century in Fenike language and found in the town is exhibited in the Alanya museum.
The important ruins of the town remaining at present are observatory towers, Caracalla excedra, odeon or theatre, Zeus Megistos temple, Apollon temple, Caesar temple, agora, bath and necropolis. According to the inscriptions that are available, this area lived its best period between the first and third centuries.
Other important art discovered in the town is ‘diploma of a Roman soldier' being exhibited in the Alanya Museum, which gives information about military aspect of the town. The ruins are dated from Roman period. Visit to the site is free.
The Ancient City of Selinus, 45 km. away from Alanya, is situated on a skirt of hill extending to the sea in elbow shape. The history of the city dates back to 6th century B.C. Roman Emperor Trajanus comes to this city when he becomes sick on the way back from a military expedition of Part in Eastern Mediterranean, and dies here on 9 August 117 A.D., his ashes later being sent to Rome.
The city was called Trajanapolis for sometime. There is acropolis of the city on the hill surrounded by the city walls. The top of the hill where there is a cistern has a view of Mediterranean Sea. The Agora of the city is near the sea side. Although the Agora have been destroyed, the granite columns can still be seen. Inside the city walls, there are some ruins of a church with apsis. The church was dedicated to Saint Thekla. Another monumental building of the city is the hunting mansion decorated with 13th Seljuk period zigzag figures. This building is also considered to be built in antiqity and meant to be a tomb in memory of Trajanus.
Around The Selinus creek flowing towards Mediterranean, ruins of a cistern can be seen. One of the two baths of the city is located on the part that the rocky mountain slope intersects the sea. The theatre has been destroyed. The monumental structure in cemetery which is the necropolis of the city indicates the customs of burying tradition in Kilikya. Archeological excavations in the region are yet limited to surface researches. It is possible to reach the top in half an hour's walk. People taking the path to top are advised to have some water with them.
The Ancient City of Nephelis is on a high hill stretching to the sea that takes place within the borders of Muz Village, 55 km. to the east of Alanya.
On the highest part of the hill, there is the acropolis of the city and the city walls dating to Middle Ages.
The temple belonging to Roman times is almost protected. Nephelis with its odeon, water system, limekiln and necropolis is typical city of Mountainous Kilikya.
Visit of the ruins is free
The Ancient city of Antiocheia Ad Cragum is 60 km to the east of Alanya on the Mediterranean coast, in the Mountainous Kilikya. The city got its name after King of Kommagene Antiochus IV who lived in 1st century A.D. The ruins of the city are located on three hills. In the first part there is a colonnaded street, an agora, a bath, an arch of triumph and some ruins of a church.
The second part is the necropolis where there are graves typical to Kilikya region. The third part consists of ruins of a Middle Age fortress on a rocky field extending to the sea.
To the north of the city there are the ruins of a temple where the architectural elements can easily be seen.
In the city centre, there is a building called Triconchos whose three walls were made in apsis shape and supposed to have had religious function. Entrance is free. Seeing all the ruins takes nearly two hours.
Ask for a 2012 Brochure
Enjoying Turkish Villa Holidays
2012 Villa Rental Charges
Latest Special Offers
Availability of Villas
Our Turkish Villa Choices
Fun Activities For Children
Fun Activities For Teenagers
Alanya's Local Beaches
Why Choose Our Turkish Villas?
Tennis Court Suite
Guide to Alanya Town
Sports Facilities At Our Villas
Alanya Weather Reports
Car Hire in Antalya/Alanya
How to Book and Pay for your
Pampering Services For Our Villa
Terms and Conditions
Our Tennis Court
Things To Do In Our Turkish
Historical Sites To Visit In
Sailing In Alanya
Airport Transfers from Antalya
Sea Trips around Alanya
Dining Out in Alanya
Useful Turkish Maps
Health & Safety
|General Information For Our Turkish Villa Rental Guests|
|Eating Fish in Alanya|
|Emergencies, Doctors and Hospitals In Alanya|
|Eating out in Alanya||Buying And Selling Villas And Flats in Alanya||Electronic Entertainment|
|Help & Advice While On Holiday In Alanya|
|Airport Transfers From Antalya Airport|
|Sailing In Alanya||Places To Visit With A Car Near Alanya||Items to bring with you|
|Diving In Alanya||Help And Advice During Your Holiday||Directions To The Villas|
|Alanya Weather||Historical Sites To Visit In Alanya||Guest Activity Program|
|Maps of Alanya||What Our Guests Can See And Do||Arrival And Departure|
|Snorkelling In Alanya|
|Help With Housework|
|Fun On Alanya Beach|
|Things To Do Locally|
|We have some Great Turkish Villa Holiday Deals throughout much of 2012. Have a look at Our Best Turkish Villa Holiday Deals. Would you like us to send you our 2012 Turkish Villa Rental Brochure.|
|We accept Credit & Debit cards for your security and convenience.|
|Dr David and Mrs Nur Gilmartin,|
|The Rectory, 47 High Street,|
|Buckinghamshire, MK16 9HN, England, United Kingdom.|
|01908 690326 (Surgery) 01234 391606 (Home)|
|01908 676880 (Fax) 07973 227415 (Mobile)|
|When calling from outside UK use 44 for example 44 1908 690326|
|firstname.lastname@example.org (Useful Contact information while in Turkey on holiday)|
|MK Dentalcare Website|